Wednesday, October 20, 2010

FBI - Expedition to the Brain

I have many theories, but here is my latest...about the FBI (Fabulous Brain Injured).

Based upon my May 2007 Brain-Injury and 15 years of teaching high school, I wonder how many of my students may have received some level of brain injury that may have made them behave differently. I wonder how many may have had a significant head trauma, but were not treated in a hospital. I also wonder how many may have gone to the hospital after a head trauma, but traumatic brain injuries were not identified.

Years ago, as a football coach who was also an emergency medical technician, I participated in a workshop that members of our rescue squad conducted for local high school and junior high football coaches. The workshop was about how to manage and inspect football players for signs of concussion. I remember one comment that I laughed about back then, but now makes me mad to think about.

A high school football coach said,"I figure if they don't get their bell rung, they are not playing hard enough."

I was presenting at the time and I mildly, sarcastically laughed with the other coaches. Now, I am embarrassed/frustrated that I allowed the situation of concussions to be joked about. Now, I have a strong desire to help all coaches and players understand that the brain is a fragile limb. A limb that if damaged, can be far, far worse than a broken bone.

FBI (Fabulous Brain Injured) people need to step up, and share the challenges of potential traumatic brain injuries with young people and adults.

John F. Kennedy challenged the United States to take an Expedition to the Moon. Today, FBI should challenge the United States to take an Expedition to the Brain.

Expedition to the Moon: Sputnik launched our Expedition to the Moon. Scientists discovered much new technology from our Expedition to the Moon.

Expedition to the Brain: The wave of baby-boomers are rapidly approaching retirement, and some analysts predict that we will encounter a 'boom' of people who will suffer with dementia and Alzheimer as they age. Thirty years ago, traumatic brain injury was not well understood. Advancements in science, wars, and traumatic brain injuries has allowed man to dramatically improve the understanding of the human brain.

FBI members need to encourage an all-out Expedition to the Brain. It will cost much, but the potential return-on-investment priceless. Unless technologies change, money and riches cannot be transported to heaven.

No comments: